Friday, September 23, 2011

The Story Behind the Hymn

Be not dismayed whate’er betide,
God will take care of you;
Beneath His wings of love abide,
God will take care of you.

The hymn God Will Take Care of You was written in 1904 by Civilla Durfee Martin.  She wrote the words to numerous other hymns and her husband composed the music to most of them.  This hymn was one of her more popular ones.  She also wrote a favorite of mine, and perhaps yours - -  His Eye is on the Sparrow.

Civilla D. Martin Hymnwriter  1866-1948

Since I always like to find out the story behind some of the hymns I like, I investigated this one and was excited to find Civilla's own words about the story behind this hymn. 


"I was confined to a sick bed in a Bible school in Lestershire, New York. My husband was spending several weeks at the school, making a songbook for the president of the school. ‘God Will Take Care of You’ was written one Sunday afternoon while my husband went to a preaching appointment. When he returned I gave the words to him. He immediately sat down to his little Bilhorn organ and wrote the music. That evening he and two of the teachers sang the completed song. It was then printed in the songbook he was compiling for the school.”

Through days of toil when heart doth fail,
God will take care of you;
When dangers fierce your path assail,
God will take care of you.

If you're familiar at all with hymns, you know this is still popular and in hymnbooks today.  Here's a copy of this hymn below for you.



The old hymns are so comforting to sing.  I have a friend who keeps a hymnal with her Bible and reads/sings through the hymn lyrics as part of her devotional time. 

I feel like it's been awhile since I've posted some free images for you.  I looked through my collection of children and found these.  Real photo postcards of siblings.  The first one is somewhat unique with the boy looking quite studious and serious.  I wonder if he was mischievous when no one was looking.



This next one is so sweet.


Thanks so much for stopping by today.  


Have a wonderfully blessed day my friends.

5 comments:

  1. I love the stories of the writers of the hymns too, and I always am reminded of their story when singing these. It makes one really appreciate the song even more. One in particular is the story behind the writer of It Is Well (with my soul). You may have also written about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poetry and depth of thought life in the 18th and 19th century brethern - able to focus on higher things without so very many lower life and living distractions that are prevalent today - they are blessings. Forgive me - I just like old things. I can appreciate that which is quality in the present - but my primary inspirations come from the past. Thanks for the post - really touched me today.

    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hymns and their stories too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wisdom they bring. I find comfort in singing them, too, and discovered the joy of what your friend does during quiet time with the Lord. I believe God has often used them to speak to my heart. I can recall times when I woke up with one going through my mind over and over,and then realized it was the answer to what I needed to hear and apply that day. What an interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Abby...how are you? I like hymns, nice to know the history behind this one. The images are adorable too.

    I hope you're doing well. hugs

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.