Saturday, May 24, 2014

Memorial Day ~ Decoration Day

Greater love hath no man than this, 
that a man lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:13


Memorial Day ~ a time of remembrance for those who died in service for their country.  It was originally called Decoration Day as the women would decorate the graves of the Civil War veterans.  This vintage postcard depicts a little girl doing just that.





The caption on this next vintage postcard reads:
Let the Stars and Strips be waving o'er their generous sacrifice.





But his soul goes marching on.



My father was a veteran, and my husband is as well.  I am proud of their service to our country.  Our town celebrates Memorial Day with a small parade.  They stop at one point on their route and throw a floral wreath into the ocean to remember those whose lives were lost at sea.

Thanks for visiting my blog today.  For those reading this via email, you can find my blog here:
Little Birdie Blessings

If you are on Facebook, you can find me here:
Little Birdie Blessings on Facebook



 

4 comments:

  1. Please thank your husband for me for his service!

    My father served in the Korean War where he endured some of the harshest winter conditions with nothing more than summer gear. I have always said that he got cold in Korea and hasn't warmed up since.

    Have a blessed weekend and thank you for the beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Vee said, please thank your husband for me as well. I truly appreciate his service!

    Your post was wonderful, Abby. Thank you for helping us keep our focus on what Memorial Day is about.

    Hugs and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am proud of our servicemen and women also! My father and husband's father lost a lot fighting to help keep our country free, and we are thankful!
    Have a wonderful, restful time of reflection and rest, dear Abby!
    God bless you :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.